The growth medium provides the nutrients and water needed for the caterillars to quickly grow from 1 centimetre in length to approximately 5 centimetres in length in just two weeks. Within that time the caterpillars will grow out of their old skin a few times and that will be noticeable in their homes, this can be cleaned out as needed to provide the caterpillars a nice clean home to prepare their chrysalis. The very full and slow caterpillars begin to crawl to the top of the home where they will hang in their chrysalis for two weeks
- Encourages respect for living things (teaches children to be gentle when handling and moving the caterpillars or butterflies)
- Promotes awareness and beauty of the life
- Investigation – children make observations
- Parent - What do you see, smell? What has changed?
- Develops patience as the children wait for the next stage to emerge
- Child - “I’m going to check if the caterpillery is in the chrysalis yet!”
Play tag with a butterfly outside, remember to release them if you decide to catch them, they need their natural environment to survive.
Read books and sing songs about caterpillars, butterflies and other insects.
Use dramatic play to recreate the life cycle, crawl like a caterpillar, hide in a blanket or a tent as a chrysalis, emerge and flutter your beautiful, butterfly wings.
Jada has a Bachelor of Education, has completed her Yoga Teacher Training (300-hours) and a specialization in children’s yoga. She continues to deepen her own understanding through a dedicated practice and teaches adult and Kid’s Yoga throughout the city and incorporates yoga and the teachings in her daily family life.